directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <lis...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: upgrading to nlog4j.1.2.17
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:21:29 GMT

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the detailed description.

At 10:56 AM 9/13/2005, Nick Faiz wrote:
>Hi Ceki,
>
>This is a hard one to replicate - the environment is complex. My current
>environment has four IDEA project modules, each with log4j dependencies.
>One of these modules lists ApacheDS as a dependency. The jar for ApacheDS
>is holding an unpacked slf4j and log4j distro, (see attached screenshot).

What's in the slf4j distro? Is nlog4j.jar included?

>When I run a main method in module1 (which doesn't use ApacheDS) all log
>statements in modules 1, 2 and 3 work quite well. When it finally reaches
>a logging statement in module4, which *does* use ApacheDS, I see a
>NoSuchMethodError:
>
>java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.log4j.Logger.info(Ljava/lang/String;)V

Is ApacheDS compiled against nlog4j? If so, could you try replacing log4j
with nlog4j and give it a whirl?

>The stacktrace is simply related to the chain of execution in the current
>thread (here a TCP Connection, because Im making a HTTP Request). It
>doesn't look helpful in this regard but I can send it to you if you would
>like to see it. It simply seems that the JVM is trying to execute a method
>which doesn't exist.

Roger that.

>If I run IDEA with module4 alone, with the log4j dependency and an
>ApacheDS dependency (which includes nlog4j, the same screenshot applies),
>logging works.

My guess (needs to be verified) is that when module 4 and ApacheDS are
used, classes in nlog4j.jar are used, however with modules 1, 2 and 3,
classes in log4j.jar are seen first (since they are "local" or in the
closest scope). I'd have to verify this hypothesis. Will report back later.

--
Ceki Gülcü