directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject DNS zones in the LDAP namespace
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:53:14 GMT
Hi,

I am looking for help designing a default LDAP-DNS namespace.  I have
the DNS protocol provider largely working with basic record types SOA,
A, NS, CNAME, PTR, MX, and SRV.  I am currently serving zones using the
Active Directory-style "ou=example.com,ou=forward lookup
zones,ou=dns,ou=system."  This has been fine for testing, but I'm
wondering if anyone out there has experience in this area and would like
to provide feedback.

I am wondering if it doesn't make more sense to put zones under domain
components [1] such as the suffix "dc=example,dc=com" or under
"ou=Zones,dc=example,dc=com" if that keeps things cleaner.  The
advantages I see here are a more intuitive layout and better support for
ACI and repl if the zone layout matches the DIT layout.  Sometimes I
think M$ does things specifically to make you buy more servers.  Imagine
that.

So, to phrase this as a tighter question, let's say you have two DNS
zones, apache.org and example.com.  What would the LDAP namespace look
like and where/how would you place the SOA and A records?

If I'm missing common knowledge, in books or RFCs, please feel free to
point that out.  I'm almost done "Understanding and Deploying LDAP
Directory Services" and I just started "LDAP Directories Explained: An
Introduction and Analysis" and I read 5 or so relevant RFCs.

Of course I plan to make the zone layout configurable so both styles
above are supported using a configurable layer-of-indirection, but we
still need to ship something default.

Enrique

[1] RFC 2247 - Using Domains in LDAP/X.500 Distinguished Names