directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 04:20:48 GMT
Hi all,

We intend in the next release to move to jdk 5.0 without backward
compatability with JDK 1.4.  This was a hard decision to make but some
features in jdk 5.0 are required for us to make ApacheDS LDAPv3 compatable.

Namely we are going to be using jdk 5.0 features for SASL support.

We have drawn up a roadmap to reach a 1.0 release for ApacheDS by March
of 2006.  By that time we suspect the jdk 5.0 to be the standard JDK in
production.  Here's the roadmap btw:

http://docs.safehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2394

We will move this roadmap into the ASF JIRA as soon as we distill fine
grained tasks from it.  Please excuse the storm of JIRA issue movements
that will follow.

All those that want to use ApacheDS with 1.4 should use releases 0.9.2
and below.  0.9.3 is debatable but 0.9.4 will definately use 5.0
features and hence will be 1.4 incompatable.

Thanks,
Alex