directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: ACIs update
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:57:28 GMT
Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

>The biggest limit (with respect to my purposes) I can actually see is the lack of ACIs
implementation. Browsing this list it seems you are actually working on it.

Yes we are working on it.

>Am I right? Is there any non-stable release with ACI support?

Not yet we're still in the process of adding ACIs.

>Also, the available documentation seems to me scarce and obsolete: to start the server,
in example, it suggests to specify a properties file and supplies an example. It seems to
me, instead, that now the server needs an xml file to start, whose content is mostly undocumented
(I did finally manage to start it with a couple of test tree, anyway).

>Is there a site documenting this project a bit better?

Unfortunately no it's not documented yet.  We do not have time to
document with all the new features we're trying to add like ACI.  Soon I
think we need to stop and seriously update the doco.

>Also, am I right in believing this project is aimed to produce a general-purpose (LDAP)
directory server? Or are its purposes anything else (like being a piece of a bigger product)?

Yes and yes to both questions.  ApacheDS can server as a simple general
purpose LDAP servber but it is much more than that.  It is also a
Kerberos server as well.  Soon users will have the ability to toggle
other services on as they need them like DNS, DHCP, Change password
etc.  If users need just a directory they can only turn on the LDAP
service and other parts can be turned off.

Long story short ... ApacheDS will provide services similar to a Windows
Server except it is intended for any platform.   This is for
facilitating a netork information system in a single server process
without having all the moving parts.  Windows calls this the Domain
Controller.  We, thanks to Enrique Rodriguez who coined the term, call
it the Realm Controller.

Alex