directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <>
Subject Re: upgrade nlog4j
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:06:20 GMT
Nick Faiz wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
> Yes, I see your point now. Sorry, I had thought that nlog4j was only
> listed as a dependency in the project.xml on the apacheds trunk.  After
> running a grep I can see that it is in ASN and in quite a few  places
> within standalone.
> I had thought you were talking about versioning problems in general
> when you added your comment previously to DIREVE-242.
> Well, this problem is simply going to keep increasing, as you have
> pointed out.
> Do you agree with a maven goal that will scan the project structure  for
> dependency clashes? Any alternative ideas for controlling version  havoc?

We could flatten the entire svn layout and put common deps like nlog in
a parent POM and multiproject it.  I'm only half kidding.  We could
probably flatten in a couple places and gain most of the benefit.

Just yesterday I put the nlog4j dependency in the parent POM of the OSGi
bundles in standalone, which has a flat structure, and removed the
dependency from any child POMs.  So that reduces by about 10 the number
of instances.  You may need to 'svn up' to see a reduction in the "quite
a few places within standalone" that you mention.

View raw message