directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [ACIItem] [User Centric (Intuitive) Representations]
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:15:40 GMT
Hi all,

here is some though about representation of grants :

we don't care.

Let me explain why I'm so brutal ;) :

- this is something that will be hidden from user face. ( at least as
soon as we have a cool GUI to deal with those grants )
- and as soon as it works, it's ok. Even if it's complicated to
understand, we will always be able to have a clear view of grants if we
use - as suggested by Trustin - jdk 1.5 enums.

So the questions are
- how do we translate those bits to an internal representation
- what is the easiest way to implements those ACIItems
- what are the performance impacts on the whole system of this encoding
and translation

I think that the third question is orders of magnitude less important
than the two others.

I buy the idea of having a clear text solution, like :
"grantsAndDenials { grantBrowse, denyModify }", combined with Trustin's
Enum.

Am I right?