Hi all!

There is at least one feature within JNDI which I like: The factory concept (object.-, state-, cantrol factories).
It allows us to implement cross cutting concerns like mapping between POJOs and directory entries within on module, so the conversion is under the hood (i.e. you make a JNDI search call and get your domain objects). And it is quite simple to create vendor/schema specific behaviour and make it customizable (even during runtime). Same is true for creation of response controls for special LDAP controls.
Of course it is possible to create such a framewotk yourself, but in JNDI, it is already there (within the JDK).

But yes, I also prefer "explicit" libraries like Novell/Netscape, e.g. for LDIF functionality.

Greetings from Hamburg -- Stefan

Stefan Zoerner, Dipl.-Math.

Advisory IT Architect, AMS Application Innovation
IBM e-business Innovation Center
Beim Strohhause 17
20097 Hamburg

mail      szoerner@de.ibm.com