directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <SZOER...@de.ibm.com>
Subject server.properties vs. server.xml
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:35:54 GMT
Hi all!

I switched from 0.9 to 0.9.1 and was a little surprised that my
server.properties file was not accepted by the server:
    java -jar apacheds-main-0.9.1.jar server.properties
failed with an XML exception. Due to a mail today on this list I learned
that  a switch to an xml-xersion was made.

    java -jar apacheds-main-0.9.1.jar server.xml
with an adapted server.xml works now for me.

There is no hint in the documentation (or at least I did not find any) for
this. Is it planned not to support the *.properties variant any longer? I
found it much easier to maintain.

Another topic: I asked Kirill Kovalenko (Product Manager Softerra LLC)
whether it is possible to add server detection for ApacheDS to their LDAP
Browser/Adminstrator product. For those of you who don't know this
program: It displays the LDAP server product / vendor in the properties
dialog. Not a very important feature, but from my point of view it looks
more professional if the client displays a correct information instead of
"Vendor is unknown or impossible to detect" (0.9.1 and LDAP Administrator
3.2). Kirill told me that they will at support ADS in the version; which
is quite easy because the vendorName attribute is provided in the Root
DSE. You might add the vendorVersion attribute to allow an even more
detailed message.

Greetings from Hamburg,
    Stefan