directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: temporarily disable nags for Directory in gump?
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:13:57 GMT
On 8/15/05, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> Would you like access?

If you trust me to poke around without damaging anything when a
project goes down, I'm happy to go in and fix it again - sure.

> Heck, would you like to be on the Gump PMC?

I have to admit my interests lay with getting projects to play
together more than the implementation of gump itself, so I'm not sure
I could do that justice :)

(also not sure if you are serious :)

> leosimons@vmgump:/usr/local/gump/public/workspace/directory-naming$ svn
> cleanup
> svn: '' is not a working copy directory
>
> Could you be more specific?

I was just going off of:
http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/apacheds/gump_work/update_apacheds.html

naming is fine, but appears to be under a cvs subdirectory of workspace:
http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/gump_repo/gump_work/update_directory-naming.html

> If that's what you really want. Just comment out the <nag/> elements in the
> descriptors and no e-mail will be sent.

Ok, we can discuss that at greater length on directory-dev. I just
wanted to get your opinion on the matter.

> I'll point out that in general if your build "keeps breaking" (rather than
> being broken all the time) that's because it keeps changing in
> non-compatible ways. I know I've always have had loads of trouble getting it
> all to compile everytime I tried to look at it. Directory does have a
> problem there.

Agreed - that should settle as the individual parts stabilise. But as
they chase each others development it will be a problem without a
monolithic build. Again, I might put this to the list as a separate
item.

There is an additional problem in having to maintain two descriptors,
which seems to be where a lot of the breakages come from. The addition
of dependencies is often needing to be hunted down and added to gump.
That could also be viewed as a good thing to take addition of
dependencies more seriously, but a hassle when its already been well
considered. I guess the thing about it is that even if it isn't a big
deal, it is annoying that a perfectly legitimate build will break
under gump.

> Oh, and the second bit I'll mention is that it seems no-one ever pays
> attention to the builds for their project unless they get e-mail, so
> there'll probably be a 'hump' to get over once you get back to sending
> yourself e-mail :-)

So densensitized to warning mails now, that I think that's an issue
either way :)

> There's a few example of bigger maven-based builds (for example I know about
> Excalibur) that tend to build fine.

Yep, I don't think there is anything wrong with the Maven support.

> Mind you -- that's still going to be a while.

for gump3, sure - but hopefully some other projects will find
directory stuff useful soon. I've already seen talk of MINA on the
incubator list today...

Thanks for your feedback Leo.

- Brett