directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Faiz <nickf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client library
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:32:27 GMT
Marc,

On 03/08/2005, at 9:08 AM, Marc Boorshtein wrote:

> Thats debatable, but not the question.  (JNDI may be "usable", but the
> mere fact that you need a booster pack to use any LDAP functionality
> proves it's not perfect especially when including the above evidence).

JNDI offers LDAP functionality without needing the booster pack.

> m, I thought it was all JNDI based.  So I could create an
> InitialContext and access it that way (maybe just a mis-communication
> on my part).  When I said the LDAP protocol I meant over a network via
> the LDAP protocol as you would any other LDAP directory (OpenLDAP, Sun
> JSDS, Tivoli Directory Server, AD, ...).  When I went poking around
> the server thats how it looked like it worked to me.

Yes, that's all there is to it, really.  See http://java.sun.com/
products/jndi/tutorial/ldap/models/operations.html for what jndi,
without a booster pack, can be used for.

Having said that, I can see the usefulness of other LDAP libraries
that avoid the abstraction of JNDI. I was just replying to say that
so far JNDI has done everything I've asked of it.

Cheers,
Nick