directory-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Boorshtein <mboorsht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client library
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:28:44 GMT
On 8/2/05, David Boreham <david@bozemanpass.com> wrote:
> Marc Boorshtein wrote:
>
> >Yes you can use JNDI for most things.  The point of my (too long
> >

> Before we shoot this thread in the head ;) :
> To be fair, other folks were doing exactly the same
> thing at the same time. For example Microsoft devoted
> resources to developing ADSI : also an API designed
> to abstract multiple directory services. Also not a success
> (much internal MS code reputedly uses the 'C' LDAP library
> they implemented as a copy of the UMich/Netscape/OL API).

Here! Here! (though unfortunatly you HAVE to use ADSI for many AD
operations unless you want to jum through a LOT of hoops).  Didn't
Novell do an ADSI implementation for LDAP as well?  BTW, I know
nothing about C#/.NET/Mono, what does the .net system use for LDAP
integration.

> Back then <puffs on his pipe...> it was not clear to everyone
> that the solution to heterogeneous connectivity problems would
> be to adopt a single common on-the-wire protocol. At that time
> most folk argued that this would never happen and instead it
> would be necessary to invent API abstractions. In fact, the
> single common protocol solution was adopted in most cases
> (SMTP for mail, LDAP for Directory, for example). This made
> the abstraction API both unnecessary and positively annoying.

JNDI came out I THINK for J2SE 1.2.2 (lighting up my own pipe ;-)),
which came out in late 1999 I believe?  Webservices was the latest buz
word and there was standardization around HTTP and other protocols at
that point.  So while I agree with your hypothasis that this seems
odd, the protocol standardization process had begun.  I think JNDI was
more Sun thinking NIS would be the major standard.  Either way, I dont
think the fact that sun tried to abstract LDAP was the sin.  I think
the way they did it is.  I think if Sun had tried some kind of "text"
based abstraction (such as SQL) that effort would have been MUCH more
successfull.  But thats just conjecture and hind sight is 20/20.