directory-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Boorshtein <mboorsht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client library
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:08:43 GMT
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:54 -0400, Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> > Did I miss something?  I thought JNDI was the "apacheds" client API?
> > Or was the original question about accessing apacheds directly inside
> > of an app (as opposed through the LDAP protocol).
> >
> > Marc
>
> JNDI is perfect 99% of the time. But we may have a more specific API,
> (like JLDAP) that does the same work.

Thats debatable, but not the question.  (JNDI may be "usable", but the
mere fact that you need a booster pack to use any LDAP functionality
proves it's not perfect especially when including the above evidence).

> I don't see any way to access apacheds without using the LDAP protocol,
> actually. But we perfectly could build an API that access apacheds
> through LDAP protocol, without using JNDI.

Um, I thought it was all JNDI based.  So I could create an
InitialContext and access it that way (maybe just a mis-communication
on my part).  When I said the LDAP protocol I meant over a network via
the LDAP protocol as you would any other LDAP directory (OpenLDAP, Sun
JSDS, Tivoli Directory Server, AD, ...).  When I went poking around
the server thats how it looked like it worked to me.

Marc