directory-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Blanchard <blt...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: [OT] How best to respond to null arguments?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:08:54 GMT
For me,

passing null and wanting to pass null (not returning null) to some API
is like wanting var args...
So if  varargs exists in the language and the API in question is not a
var args one, there is a problem from my point of view => Option 2( if
you are writing the used API and not the user of the API)
If var args does not exist in language, there is no need to throw NPE
depending of the real need of the null argument (ie passing null to a
method like getIconBytes((Icon)null ) is obviously a mistake => option
3) Passing null to a method wich can work unless it is a var args
synonym... Should pass...

Another step is speaking of  pre-conditions and post-conditions : the
state of the object before and after the operation. If the null argument
disturbs these pre/post condition => Option 3 or option 4  (the state of
the object "x" is not valid)
else, ignore it...

I think the best is to do always the same thing for similar cases.

hope this is the best practice... Not sure.
also hope this helps.
Tony