directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>
Subject Re: Performance of ApacheDS versus OpenLdap. First results!
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:26:11 GMT

>This is just plain normal. As they are sequential, what is counted is
>the throughput of the sequence B-S-U. The Total number is worthless, I
>think.

Ah, perhaps now I understand. It may be that you are measuring the
performance of the OS'es TCP implementation rather than the LDAP servers ;)

If the test makes a connection, then performs bind/search/unbind (which
will disconnect), then the overwhelming proportion of the effort to
handle the load
goes in setting up and tearing down the TCP connection. This would also
explain why the figures are similar.

Did you monitor the proportion of kernel to user time on the test machine ?
High kernel time (>15%) would tend to indicate an I/O-limited test.