directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [OT] JNDI search and types only
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:29:42 GMT
Jérôme Baumgarten wrote:

>Thanks Cimballi.
>

>>There is a poperty to fix in order to return only attributes names :
>>env.put("java.naming.ldap.typesOnly", "true");
>>More information here :
>>http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/index.html
>>

>So I guess there's a bug in org.apache.ldap.server.protocol.SearchHandler
>line 89 : controls.setReturningObjFlag( req.getTypesOnly() );
>these two properties are totally different and the following should be added :

Yes there is some ambiguity in fact with JNDI here.  I've been trying to
figure this out for some time now.   That is the relationship between
the SearchControls returningObjFlag property and the environment
property "java.naming.ldap.typesOnly".  I have searched far and wide for
a better understanding about this.  I think the best way for us to
understand this is to capture the ASN.1 generated to comprehend the
final effects of setting these properties.

With respect to the SearchHandler I don't have enough information at
this point to conclude which way is correct.  I guess we just need to do
some experimentation with the SUN JNDI provider to see the effects of
these properties on the generated ASN.1 requests.

<snip/>

Alex