directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Only 'uid=admin,ou=system' can initiate the first run.
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:12:13 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> If I use a current apacheds-main-0.9.2-SNAPSHOT.jar and execute a simple
>
> java -jar apacheds-main-0.9.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> in a fresh directory, I get the following exception on the cmdline:
>
> Exception in thread "main" javax.naming.NoPermissionException: Only
> 'uid=admin,ou=system' can initiate the first run.

This is because without a server.xml saying the user starting the server
is the admin it defaults to an anonymous user for startup.  This is not
allowed when starting up the server.  Only the admin has this permission.

> After this message, the server starts and after some time clients are
> able to connect. If I stop the server and restart it the same way (it
> is not the first run, partition is available on disk), the error does
> not occur.
>
> Has anyone faced this problem as well? Maybe it is not an error at
> all, but an operating error by me. But if it is always present (I have
> tested this with J2SE 1.4 and 5.0 on Windows and Solaris, I got it
> everytime) the message is probably a shock for newbies.

Well Trustin made some changes after I had experimented with this
policy.  Perhaps Trustin can help clarify the effects of these changes
on startup policy.

> Should I raise an issue at JIRA for this?
>
> Btw.: This does not occur if I use my server.xml within the command
> line for a first run. Therefore I guess its a problem in the default
> configuration.

Exactly.

Alex