directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Only 'uid=admin,ou=system' can initiate the first run.
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:12:59 GMT
Hi all!

If I use a current apacheds-main-0.9.2-SNAPSHOT.jar and execute a simple

java -jar apacheds-main-0.9.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

in a fresh directory, I get the following exception on the cmdline:

Exception in thread "main" javax.naming.NoPermissionException: Only
'uid=admin,ou=system' can initiate the first run.
         at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.DefaultContextFactoryService.checkPermissionToCreateBootstrapEntries(DefaultContextFactoryService.java:578)
         at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.DefaultContextFactoryService.createBootstrapEntries(DefaultContextFactoryService.java:387)
         at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.DefaultContextFactoryService.startup(DefaultContextFactoryService.java:197)
         at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.AbstractContextFactory.getInitialContext(AbstractContextFactory.java:99)
         at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:6
67)
         at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:247)
         at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(InitialContext.java:223)
         at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(InitialContext.java:197)
         at
javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.<init>(InitialDirContext.jav a:82)
         at org.apache.ldap.server.ServerMain.main(ServerMain.java:76)

---

After this message, the server starts and after some time clients are
able to connect. If I stop the server and restart it the same way (it is
not the first run, partition is available on disk), the error does not
occur.

Has anyone faced this problem as well? Maybe it is not an error at all,
but an operating error by me. But if it is always present (I have tested
this with J2SE 1.4 and 5.0 on Windows and Solaris, I got it everytime)
the message is probably a shock for newbies.

Should I raise an issue at JIRA for this?

Btw.: This does not occur if I use my server.xml within the command line
for a first run. Therefore I guess its a problem in the default
configuration.

Greetings, Stefan