directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Protocol Testsuite: Mission Statement (Proposal)
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:41:18 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 19:13 +0200, Stefan Zoerner wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>

>Hi Stefan!

Thanks for your reply, Emmanuel!

><snip/>
>

>>For a start JUnit and JNDI are used, there is no dependency on code
>>which is provided by the Apache Directory Project (we do black box
>>tests). While JUnit is beyond dispute, JNDI is not.
>>

>JNDI is very commonly used. So it doesn't arm to use it. Better have a
>way to test ApacheDS than arguing about the best tool to do it :)
>
><snip/>

You are right, I will rework this passage.

><snip/>
>
>I'm still on my way to create a simple test framework based on XML
>files. I just lack of time to finalize it, but I may found it soon! The
>idea is to use the asn1-codec to send request and to test expected
>The tool will just launch those tests and give back a result. It will be
>easy to add a new test, as the structure will be controlled by a XSD
>(the XSD already exists).
>
>Another way to store tests could also to use the proxy to capture PDUs
>and replay them. you will then be able to create scenarios and tests
>them against different kind of LDAP server (the proxy already exists,
>and have been tested against ApacheDS and IDS, with LdapBrowser and
>JXplorer - snapshot attached). Of course, I need to improve this proxy
>to dump XML structures to disk, but that's not very complicated. Except
>that I have to find time to do it ;)

Especially the proxy seems to be a very useful and interesting thing!
Even in other scenarios. It may help me to ensure that JNDI really sends
the operations I want it to (currently I run the tests against Sun DS
and look in its logs ...). And it would definitly be helpful in
tutorials to teach people LDAP/JNDI (I give an introduction to LDAP for
Java developers in November in Munich on a conference, for example). Are
the sources for the proxy GUI already in the Apache DS svn?  It may also
be interesting in integration tasks, e.g. for research if someone fails
to integrate an LDAP server in a middleware, because the latter is
poorly documentated. Have you ever thought about offering it in the
client section of the Apache Directory Project?

>Jmeter could also be an opton. I've done some very simply tests once
>upon a time using it, just to check how ApacheDS was doing against
>OpenLdap. The answer was : almost as fast. But it was over simplistic.
>It's very interesting to improve those tests to do some benchmarks !

Yes, I thought about JMeter as well. Especially because it gives us
remote JMeter engines on different machines for heavy load tests. Nice
task for my little test center here (I collect old Sun workstations
...). But first I would like to complete the test cases for the little
test suite. JNDI biggest advantage will be that Alex can integrate theme
easily in the sercer test suite (at least If we find a way to do this
wothout copying to much code). He may use your internal JNDI provider,
while the testsuite run the original LDAP provider included in the J2SE.

>so, we have a lot of things to do, and we are very few... Welcome
>Stefan !

Thank you to welcome me aboard. The more users we have, the more helping
hands will appear. This is why I am so interested in improving end  user
experience (and this starts with standard compliance and includes
documentation, which I am also interested to contribute). If a user
fails to use the server (e.g. because his/her clients refuse to work
correctly with it), s/he will choose another ... .

 Bye, Stefan