directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Protocol test suite
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:21:51 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:

> Hi Alex!
>
> Yes, I am interested. I will create a small suite as a suggestion for
> the structure and will submit it to JIRA for your review (I hope until
> end of week).
> I am not sure, whether JNDI is the right choice here, but I suggest to
> start with it, because then there is no dependency other than JUnit
> and JSE.

+1 to that.

> I think it is not necessary to create hundreds of test cases. The most
> typical ones for each operation should be fine for the beginning.

We can gradually add more as time progresses.  Also I would like to make
this into a subproject of the directory project since it should
essentially be independent of apacheds although the integration tests
will be applied to apacheds before each release.

> Having "special cases" in it would make it difficult to run it against
> different LDAP solutions.

Absolutely I concur.  This testsuite should be defined generally for
LDAP and not be trying to test LDAP'isms specific to ApacheDS.  We
should also incidentally use a common example DIT for the test data.

> From my point of view, the test suite should concentrate on the
> functionality which is undisputable among the different vendors.

Yep!

> Because of my book project I have a nice collection of servers here
> including orchid species like eDirectory and Tivoli. And Active
> Directory as well, although the test license will expire soon. No big
> loss at all ;-)

:)

> Anyway, I would like to run the suite against all major solutions just
> to be sure that we check common sense.

Right its also a good control for ApacheDS to check its operation
against other directories.

> Alex Karasulu wrote:

<snip/>

Incidentally I'd just like to say that this project is just as important
as apacheds is.  Why? ApacheDS is useless unless it operates correctly.
A formal protocol test suite will make sure of that.

Thanks again,
Alex