directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: Storing binary data in 0.9.1 fails (or data given back from the directory is changed)
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:21:06 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have a problem with binary data within directory entries. If I
> import an inetOrgPerson with jpegPhoto into the Apache DS (LDIF
> format, binary data is Base64), the image data is damaged in the entry
> (at least when it is read out). I tried different tools (import with
> LDAP Administrator from Softerra, native ldapadd from Solaris 9, ...)
> the result was always the same. Wenn I import the same file in another
> Directory Server (e.g. OpenLDAP), it works fine.

Hmmm I don't think the attribute is being defined as binary within the
configuration file which someone seemed to comment out grrrr!

I just committed 230475 which should fix this issue.  It's a simple
configuration option.  You can add this line straight to your config
file to make sure this problem goes away.  Anyhow here's the DIFF of the

If you notice the java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary property was
commented out by someone.  When this is set to the list I just put in
your JPEG photo should be just fine.  Let me know if this works.

View raw message