directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>
Subject Re: Client library
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:11:29 GMT
Marc Boorshtein wrote:

>Yes you can use JNDI for most things.  The point of my (too long

Before we shoot this thread in the head ;) :
To be fair, other folks were doing exactly the same
thing at the same time. For example Microsoft devoted
resources to developing ADSI : also an API designed
to abstract multiple directory services. Also not a success
(much internal MS code reputedly uses the 'C' LDAP library
they implemented as a copy of the UMich/Netscape/OL API).

Back then <puffs on his pipe...> it was not clear to everyone
that the solution to heterogeneous connectivity problems would
be to adopt a single common on-the-wire protocol. At that time
most folk argued that this would never happen and instead it
would be necessary to invent API abstractions. In fact, the
single common protocol solution was adopted in most cases
(SMTP for mail, LDAP for Directory, for example). This made
the abstraction API both unnecessary and positively annoying.