directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance of ApacheDS versus OpenLdap. First results!
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:38:01 GMT
On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 15:26 -0600, David Boreham wrote:

> > This is just plain normal. As they are sequential, what is counted is
> > the throughput of the sequence B-S-U. The Total number is worthless, I
> > think.
> >
> Ah, perhaps now I understand. It may be that you are measuring the
> performance of the OS'es TCP implementation rather than the LDAP
> servers ;)

Ooops, yes, you are right ! I always test the TCP stack through a
limited test of ApacheDS (and sometime I do the same with
Databases) ! ;-] eh eh eh

> If the test makes a connection, then performs bind/search/unbind
> (which
> will disconnect), then the overwhelming proportion of the effort to
> handle the load
> goes in setting up and tearing down the TCP connection. This would
> also
> explain why the figures are similar.
>
> Did you monitor the proportion of kernel to user time on the test
> machine ?
> High kernel time (>15%) would tend to indicate an I/O-limited test.

6% system. Which is kind of high...

Ok, ok. Do not push this test too far. It's not realistic. It's just a
kind of baby test (very very young ! It's just one cell, actually, and
it will divide soon to two cells, then 4, then ...)

Call it very premature ;)

Nevertheless, I like those results !

Emmanuel