directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Protocol Testsuite: Mission Statement (Proposal)
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:34:08 GMT
On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 19:13 +0200, Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi Stefan!

<snip/>
> For a start JUnit and JNDI are used, there is no dependency on code
> which is provided by the Apache Directory Project (we do black box
> tests). While JUnit is beyond dispute, JNDI is not.

JNDI is very commonly used. So it doesn't arm to use it. Better have a
way to test ApacheDS than arguing about the best tool to do it :)

<snip/>

> Later on this subproject may support the main development of the Apache
> Directory Project with tests for topics which are not rock-solid
> standardized (e.g. access control lists). Or performance tests. Or ... .
> But as long as any client may complain about the behavior, we will
> concentrate on basic operations. Client experience is key.
+ infinite :)

<snip/>

I'm still on my way to create a simple test framework based on XML
files. I just lack of time to finalize it, but I may found it soon! The
idea is to use the asn1-codec to send request and to test expected
The tool will just launch those tests and give back a result. It will be
easy to add a new test, as the structure will be controlled by a XSD
(the XSD already exists).

Another way to store tests could also to use the proxy to capture PDUs
and replay them. you will then be able to create scenarios and tests
them against different kind of LDAP server (the proxy already exists,
and have been tested against ApacheDS and IDS, with LdapBrowser and
JXplorer - snapshot attached). Of course, I need to improve this proxy
to dump XML structures to disk, but that's not very complicated. Except
that I have to find time to do it ;)

Jmeter could also be an opton. I've done some very simply tests once
upon a time using it, just to check how ApacheDS was doing against
OpenLdap. The answer was : almost as fast. But it was over simplistic.
It's very interesting to improve those tests to do some benchmarks !

so, we have a lot of things to do, and we are very few... Welcome
Stefan !