directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Panicker <vino...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: losing packets when load testing my mina app
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:25:51 GMT
On 7/14/05, Alex Burmester <adb@plushpix.com> wrote:
> I just noticed in my ethereal traffic that it is the load testing client
> that is initiating the tcp reset packets so this may be unrelated to mina
> as the client currently doesn't use mina.

IIRC, the RST would be generated if the client got an unexpected
response/timeout from the server.

> The server is runing mina 0.7.3 using jdk1.5.0_04 and the os/kernel is
> redhat 2.4.21-20.ELsmp

Linux kernels 2.6.x are known to have an improved tcp implementation -
maybe that would help.

> The client is fedora 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp
>
> What is strange is that I don't see any tcp errors on either machine
> using netstat -i eth0 -t -c 10
>
> Both jvms have ample memory allocated.

Could you tell me the command line args that you are using for the
jvm?  And did you notice the memory/cpu utilization of both apps
during the test?

> After running the load test for about 10 seconds I start to see occasional
> read timeouts on the client.  First I thought the mina server was not
> responding but then I found that the client is actually issuing a tcp
> reset before actually trying to send it's payload to the mina server.
> As a result the mina server never actually accepts the packet and the
> client after doing a tcp retransmission a few times eventually times out.
>
> Any suggestions?

You could post the source and I could try it out on my machines and
see if the problem can be reproduced.

--snip--

Regards,
Vinod.