directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Olson" <...@sleepycat.com>
Subject Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:16:44 GMT
On Jul 27, 2005, at 10:00 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 13:28, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> Nothing slipped through incubation Niclas.  We switched from using
>> Berkeley DB C edition to JDBM and have no dependencies what so
>> ever on
>> external software with conflicting licenses.
>>

> I have not read their licensing terms, so I need to take your word
> for it. You
> are effectively saying that the Berkeley DB C edition is licensed
> differently, and not in "to be identical in effect with the GPL"
> terms. If it
> is LGPL terms, and the Java native interface is (c) ASF &
> committers, then
> there is no issue.

No, I think that what Alex is saying is, there's no Sleepycat
dependency in the
ApacheDS code whatever. The JDBM interface he's using doesn't rely on
our
software.

In any case, the ASF is on solid footing here; no GPL-style licenses
are included
in the distribution (or at least, none are coming in from Sleepycat!).

                     mike