directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Bharath Sundararaman" <Bharath.Sundarara...@starthis.com>
Subject Re: [MINA] and readiness selection
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:34:08 GMT
Hi Trustin,

I hope to clarify my understanding of MINA through examples.

Scenario 1

I have a logging server and 100 clients. Each client sends a request to
the server to log its information and the server processes the client's
request by reading from its buffer. In this case, the SocketAcceptor
plays the server and the SocketConnector plays the client. The
SocketAcceptor listens on a particular port and once a connection is
opened, it waits for the client to write relevant data, server reads it
and prints it onto the console. Mina should work like a dream for this
situation.

Scenario 2

I have an application that does asynchronous reads and writes to devices
(e.g. PLC) via ethernet/ip. There is a selectable channel tied to the
device's IP address and the read/writes are initiated by the application
which sends a request to the device. The device on receiving a request,
sends a response automatically which is read by the application. The
request/response formats are based on existing standards adopted by
device vendors (CIP protocol).

So, communication with the device happens using a SelectableChannel
(tied to the device's IP address) which registers with a selector for
read/write interest and when data has to be read from a device, a read
event is pushed onto a queue, selector is woken up and read happens.
There could be many reads happening at the same time or alternate reads
and writes in a totally ad-hoc fashion. Is MINA a good choice for this
scenario where you send and receive bytes of data to devices?

Thanks,

Bharath.