directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FATAL in SLF4J, was: [VOTE] Logging Direction
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:18:55 GMT
Let's assume that you've programmed a client application that always should
be connected to the server. Disconnection from server prevents the
application from functioning but we cannot say that it is a FATAL situation
because server will get up and run soon possibly. We'll have to say it is in
a FATAL situation if client cannot proceed the reconnect process by some
reason.
 So I think ERROR and FATAL level are both required. WARN, ERROR and FATAL
both represents exceptional situation, but three has some different meaning:
 * WARN - exceptional situation, but safely ignorable because the
application can recover itself.
* ERROR - exceptional situation that requires user's attention because of
temporary malfunction of the application. The application can recover from
this situation automatically if other environment changes.
* FATAL - exceptional situation that we really didn't expected or that makes
the application stop permanently.
 Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/