directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wilcox <mark.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2005 04:40:19 GMT
The Sleepycat license is that if you don't have total source
(essentially GPL) then you pay Sleepycat a fee (the code is
essentially dual-licensed).

Personally I'd recommend an approach where you have an option - use JE
by preference because I'd expect it to be high-quality with the
ability to use another perhaps less quality implementation.

I suspect (based on the type of work OctetString does - which is very
similar to this project) - many implementations will use the code as a
virtual-directory engine. That is use the LDAP interfaces to provide
access to external DB's (like SAP or PeopleSoft) that are not normally
LDAP ready.

Mark