directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <lis...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: FATAL in SLF4J, was: [VOTE] Logging Direction
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:25:50 GMT
I am afraid this one is due to a incompatibility between LOG4J and
NLOG4J/SLF4J, and not to an error in JCL.  While printing methods in
LOG4J take an argument of type java.lang.Object, the org.slf4j.Logger
interface imposes that this parameter be of type
java.lang.String. NLOG4J Logger's which directly implement the
org.slf4j.Logger interface relays this restriction -- hence the
NoSuchMethodError you are observing. JCL merely reveals this
LOG4J/NLOG4J incompatibility.

What can be done? It should be fairly easy to add an NLOG4J adapter to
JCL. I'll start working on this right now and report back here and on
the dev@SLF4J.org mailing list.

Nick, it's not bad configuration on your part. I hope this incident
will not scare you off from using the SLF4J API. Perhaps you should
wait until the incident is resolved before making up your mind.

In any case, thank you for reporting this problem. Caught early, the
problem can be fixed before future users are affected.

--
Ceki Gülcü