directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Faiz <n...@atlassian.com>
Subject logging: apacheds as a standalone server and an embedded server
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:36:22 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to put forward an idea which has arisen out of the inclusion of
SLF4J as the logging framework for ApacheDS.

We need to ensure that log4j.properties is not distributed to
applications which want to embed ApacheDS. However, we also need a
logging config. present to run ApacheDS as a standalone.

I've written a maven 'standalone' goal for apacheds-main which builds a
zip, holding all dependencies and a log4j.properties.

The standalone build is pretty basic but it would not take much work to
add apacheds-standalone.sh/bat files - it would begin to resemble a real
standalone application.

We would also use the standalone config. to add a logs dir to a
server.home directory.

I've also added a setting to project.properties to ensure that
log4j.properties is excluded, by default, from the jar:jar goal. This
will keep our logging config. from being distributed in apacheds when it
operates as a dependency (i.e. on a maven repo.) and not the main
application.

Does this sound reasonable to everyone? If so I'll file a JIRA issue and
attach the patch there.

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. In case anyone missed the logging ideas I put forward they are
available at http://wiki.apache.org/directory/LoggingPlan .

--
ATLASSIAN - http://www.atlassian.com/

Confluence - the enterprise wiki - tried it yet?
http://www.atlassian.com/confluence/