directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Rex Wang" <...@sleepycat.com>
Subject RE: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:06:49 GMT
Alex Karasulu said:

> Company A decides to integrate Apache Directory Server which
> now uses JE into their product which they sell.
>
> Does the license for JE require company A to have to license
> JE from SleepyCat?

Apache Directory Server is considered to be the application that
uses Berkeley DB Java Edition, not Company A's product.
Therefore, Company A can include the Apache Directory Server in
their products, as permitted under the Apache Software License
and the Sleepycat Software Open Source License, with no
requirement for any other Sleepycat Software license.

OpenLDAP uses the C version of Berkeley DB in precisely the same
relationship.

If Company A were to modify the Apache Directory Server, or to
extract Java Edition code from ADS for use in another
application, and wanted to redistribute the modified ADS or
other application to a 3rd party, then Company A would either
have to make their code available under some Open Source
license, or purchase a commercial license from Sleepycat
Software.

There are several other Apache Software Foundation projects that
use the Berkeley DB family of products.  Alex, it is our hope
that you continue to use Berkeley DB Java Edition within
Apache Directory Server.

Regards,
Rex Wang
VP Marketing