directory-dev mailing list archives

From ch...@pegacat.com
Subject Re: Anyone know how to get custom html views to show multivalued attribute?
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:18:18 GMT
Hi Alex

> I guess this is really a question for Chris Betts more than anyone else.
> Since it is probably going to incubate I figure this is a good place to
> ask about it ;).

I keep hassling 'em about the transfer - the wheels grind exceeding slow,
but they are grinding... :-)

> I'm trying to create custom views with JXPlorer using the html form
> mechanism.  Everything is great however I'm a little stumped by the
> multivalued attribute problem.  Meaning how do I use an html form to allow
> for user interaction with multivalued attributes?  I'm begining to think
> there might not be a way to do this and that I may have to resort to using
> a custom view for JXPlorer.  Is this the case Chris?

*cough*.  The html multi-attribute problem is an old one.  It's more Trudi's
area than mine, but from memory we decided that while we would allow the
*display* of multiple attributes in an html form, allowing the user to *add*
new attributes was just too much like hard work, and we would insist on them
using the table display (or custom plugins) for that sort of stuff.  I think
Trudi put in some special code to allow it in some very specific
circumstances, but I don't recall the details?  (Trudi?)

The html display is actually aimed at unsophisticated users who would like
to use forms to interact with a directory - it's not really a general
purpose tool to do everything.  If you're trying to do really clever things
you should use a plugin...

Of course, a not insignificant part of the html code was written last
millenium back in the java 1.1 days, so if anyone is keen to do a
top-to-bottom rewrite...? *looks hopeful*...

  - Chris

> Alex
>
> P.S. This is really not that far off topic.

Dr Christopher Betts
Melbourne, Australia
pegacat.com

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn,