directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: FATAL in SLF4J, was: [VOTE] Logging Direction
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 04:01:26 GMT
On Tuesday 05 July 2005 11:18, Trustin Lee wrote:
> Disconnection from server prevents  the application from functioning but we
> cannot say that it is a FATAL situation because server will get up and run
> soon possibly.  We'll have to say it is in a FATAL situation if client
> cannot proceed the reconnect process by some reason.

Are you talking about the exception being thrown as a result of connection
problems, or an exception propogated from the server to the client?

In the first instance, it is barely an exception at all. It is a normal
condition and should be handled by the client very gracefully, and "at the
most" provide a Warning in the logs ( I would probably just put an INFO ).
The user will be notified of this. If a true fatal condition occurs, an Error
is written to the log, the user is notified with something that makes more
sense, and then a "Ok to Terminate" button.

In the second instance, the client should probably not receive a "Fatal"
message at all. It makes users nervous to find Fatal stuff in their logs. If
the server enters a fatal condition, the client application should be
notified through a proper exception, and act gracefully to that. And no need
to pollute the client log with anything but the same as above, a simple
Warning.

Sorry, but I fail to see how your use case invalidating Ceki's explanation.

Cheers
Niclas