directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:40:39 GMT
Hi !

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 07:04 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > The Sleepycat license is that if you don't have total source
> > (essentially GPL) then you pay Sleepycat a fee
>
> > Personally I'd recommend an approach where you have an option
>
> There is no such option.  JE is a dead end.  We do not pass along additional
> restrictions beyond the ALv2 (which means essentially no restrictions).

I think that the best thing to do is validate backends without
delivering them. There is no issue if you do that. Let's use JDBM as a
kind of RI, bundled with the ApacheDS package, and let others use
whatever they want, assuming they will donwload those backends and deal
with IP issues by themselves.

So we can work with JE, validate that ApacheDS works well with it, using
an abstraction layer above it, avoiding licenses problem, and tell the
community : "ApacheDS works well and is fully tested against JE, up to
you to download JE" (or wathever DB).

2cts.

Emmanuel L├ęcharny