directory-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Betts <ch...@pegacat.com>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Which logging framework?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:42:48 GMT
Hi All,

I've just finished converting JXplorer to use the built in java
logging framework.  It is basically a cheap rip off of log4j and
isn't as good (IMHO :-) ) so the only reason to use it is because
it's 'built in'.  Refactoring from the java.util.logging to log4j is
pretty easy if you change your mind down the track, btw., but going
the other way is a little more work because log4j does some tricks
that java.util.logging doesn't.

I used the built in stuff for JXplorer because it means you can reuse
the classes in other projects more easily - you don't have to worry
about adding the log4j jar.  There's a bunch of utility classes in JX
that I and others want to use in other projects.  However if you're
not so concerned about code reuse, log4j is better.  And log4j is an
apache project now, so it's not even '3rd party' :-).

    - Chris

P.S.  For people who are really in to this stuff, the two logging
systems are close enough in spirit that you can probably map between
the two types of configuration files - as far as I can see
java.util.logging is a subset of log4j.  This could conceivably be
useful in shops that are already wedded to one system or the other.
Implementation is left as an exercise for the student :-).