directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Bharath Sundararaman" <Bharath.Sundarara...@starthis.com>
Subject [MINA] and readiness selection.
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:50:46 GMT
Hi all,

I tried to use MINA to implement the readiness selection process where
multiple clients/channels register with a selector for an event of
interest, which when fired will cause the selector to dispatch it to a
handler. I would like to confirm that I'm using MINA the right way to
achieve this and also know what advantages MINA provides me, apart from
lesser lines of code :-)

Objective: The server listens on a port; client connects to it and
writes some data (an input string, let's say, "hello") into its own
buffer. Client wants the server to now read its buffer ("hello") and
write back "hellohello" into its buffer. Basically duplicate and append
to the end.

When using NIO, I would first register SelectionKey.OP_ACCEPT with the
server and then check for any ready keys (is Selector.select( )>0). If
so, I check for key.isReadable() method and if the key is readable, I
get the socket channel, read its buffer ("hello"), create a new buffer
("hellohello") and write it back.

MINA:

1.	SocketAcceptor listens on port X; SocketAcceptor connects and
specifies a handler (let's say ClientHandler)
2.	SocketConnector gets the "IoSession" object returned by the
"connect(address,handler)" method and does a
session.write(buffer,marker); where buffer contains "hello".
3.	This triggers the dataRead() method in the SocketAcceptor's
handler (let's say ServerHandler) which reads the buffer, creates a new
modified buffer and writes it back using session.write(buffer,marker);
4.	This triggers the dataRead() method in the SocketConnector's
handler which prints out the modified buffer.

My questions:

1.	From a quick look at MINA's source code, if there is a single
SocketAcceptor and multiple SocketConnectors write into their buffers at
the same time (in other words, become "readable"), it seems that all the
requests are immediately received, pushed into a registration queue and
processed one by one, to enable non-blocking I/O. I do the same thing
while using java.nio classes. Is MINA better in handling large number of
clients which become ready at the same time and require the server's
attention, due to some reason? How does it enhance my readiness
selection process?
2.	It seems that the IoSession object, when changed, is what
notifies the server or the SocketAcceptor that a
client/channel/socketconnector is ready. Does the SocketAcceptor
periodically check if the session object has changed? Does the session
object notify the SocketAcceptor by invoking some method as soon as it
changes? How does this tie up work?
3.	What is the DemuxingProtocolHandler? Do I need it for readiness
selection?
4.	what is the real gain with using MINA for this process?

I find MINA much more easy to use than traditional NIO, readable and
manageable. Thanks to Trustin Lee for his efforts.