directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Which logging framework?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:08:28 GMT
Hi,

2005/6/29, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>:

> > The Directory Server is not an app server, but do keep in mind that when
> we are embedding, the better citizen that we can be in that embedded
> environment, the better. And we also have components of our own, since as
> triggers, stored procedures, etc.
>
> Guys, actually a lot of the Apache DS code is based on commons-log,
> other parts rely on java.util.logging, and the remaining use log4j.

 I believe ApacheDS can be used for both embedded and standalone purporse
eventually.

>>From *my* point of view, log4j is perfect for what we are doing
> actually.
>
> Now, answering Trustin question, using java.util.logging doesn't seems
> *to me* a very good idea. It has the same drawback than log4j - cf Marc
> & Noel answers - and it does not compare with log4j in term of
> fonctionality, or tooling.

 It looks like java.util.logging is less convinient than Log4J or
Commons-Logging.

If I have to make a choice, based on what ApacheDS will be in two years,
> it may be :
> 1) commons-logging/Juli + log4j
> 2) log4j
> 3) java.util.logging

 If commons logging team is fixing the issue Stephane addressed as Noel
mentioned, I'd like to go to the choice #1 because I believe commons logging
is widely deployed and almost everyone knows how to use it.
 Actually I don't think the dynamic loading issue is not really critical
because we already know about it IMHO.
 Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/