directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject [apacheds] A final summary for the changes in 'db_refactor' branch before merging it back.
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:41:51 GMT
[apacheds] A final summary for the changes in 'db_refactor' branch before
merging it back.

Hi folks,

Here's a summary of the changes in 'db_refactor' branch. Please follow this
message browsing your working in your IDE. That will help you much more to
understand this.

The changes in context partitions
=================================
* Moved all classes related with context partitions to
org.apache.ldap.server.partition.
* BackingStore is removed and merged into ContextPartition. I found no
reason to keep BackingStore. Merging it into ContextPartition also was OK.
* PartitionNexus is renamed to ContextPartitionNexus, and became an abstract
class to provide some static methods moved from SystemPartition.
* RootNexus is renamed to DefaultContextPartitionNexus
* ContextPartitions now have better two lifecycle methods: init(
ContextFactoryConfiguration, ContextPartitionConfiguration ) and destroy().
* ContextFactoryConfiguration doesn't set up or tear down partitions now.
DefaultContextPartitionNexus.init() and destroy() does.
ContextFactoryConfiguration now simply calls
DefaultContextPartitionNexus.init() to start up all application partitions.
* SystemPartition is removed thanks to introduction of JdbmContextPartition.
Because SystemPartition doesn't need to instantiate JdbmDatabase anymore, it
became to have only static methods and constants. I moved those static
members to ContextPartitionNexus which is now an abstract class.

The changes in 'db' package
===========================
* Database interface is removed.
* BTree-specific classes are moved to
org.apache.ldap.server.partition.impl.btree.
* org.apache.server.db.gui is renamed to
org.apache.ldap.server.partition.impl.btree.gui.
* JDBM implementation package is renamed to
org.apache.ldap.server.partition.impl.btree.jdbm
* JdbmDatabase is renamed to JdbmContextPartition, which is a
ContextPartition, not Database anymore.
* JdbmDatabase extends BTreeContextPartition which implements
ContextPartition and merges AbstractDatabase.
* Some classes independent from BTree implementations
(ResultFilteringEnumeration, SearchResultFilter, SearchResultEnumeration)
are moved to org.apache.ldap.server.enumeration.

The changes in 'interceptor' package
====================================
* Interceptor.init() and destroy() method is more useful now.
* InterceptorContext is deprecated by ContextFactoryConfiguration and
InterceptorConfiguration, and removed.
* Invocation object is not used anymore; Interceptor provides all
interception methods that matches to ContextPartitionNexus method by method.
BaseInterceptor also has changed to follow this change.

The changes in 'invocation' package
===================================
* Because Interceptor doesn't use Invocation class anymore, its duty has
changed to representation of 'the invocation from JNDI context to
ContextPartition'. Invocation is pushed to InvocationStack when an
invocation from JNDI context (ServerDirContext) occurs, and popped from
InvocationStack when the invocation ends.
* Added InvocationStack to represent recursive calls to
ContextPartitionNexus. Actually it has been done by an AspectJ class in
ApacheDS in conjunction with Invocation. Now, Invocation doesn't manage
context stacks anymore. Instead, target JNDI context property is added to
Invocation to represent which JNDI context the invocation came from, and
Invocation (instead of Context) is pushed to and popped from
InvocationStack. InvocationStack is managed by its internal instance map
whose key is 'current thread'. I didn't use ThreadLocals to manage resources
more explicitly, so the content of InvocationStack is explicitly pushed and
popped by ContextPartitionNexusProxy.
* The change above helped me to removed dependency to AspectJ, and it means
that ApacheDS now compiles OK in Java 5.

The changes in 'authn' package
==============================
* Authenticator.init() and destroy() method is more useful now.
* AuthenticatorContext is deprecated by ContextFactoryConfiguration and
AuthenticatorConfiguration, and removed.

What didn't change
==================
* All tests still pass.
* Most part of ContextPartition is retained.
* You can configure ApacheDS as before.

TODO
====
* Rewrite JavaDocs
* Improve more by others' feedback.
* Transaction API (perhaps we have to merge now and branch again for it)
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/