directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Idea on refactoring Database, ContextPartition, and RootNexus
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:49:14 GMT
2005/6/19, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >I am not sure that I can the total impact of what you are suggesting, but I
> >would like to hear your thoughts on the following scenario;
> Great points you make below Niclas.

+1

> >I can create a Nexus that exposes an entire application as a directory tree
> >through JavaBean patterns and reflection. I can also create a wrapper on
> >legacy system and expose it as a nexus. IMHO, this has tremendous advantages
> >for system integration work, especially between systems that are
> >traditionally 'far apart'.
>
> Basically an LDAP proxy would have a hard time with this since the
> operations are split apart.  Users would have to implement a Database to
> have it talk to an LDAP server so ... they would have to collect the
> tiny operations with put and gets to interpret what they are on a
> commit.  This is impossible without transactions since the operations
> don't have a distinct cut off.

I see.. so we need to retain ContextPartition interface.

Then what about creating DatabaseContextPartition class and make it
translate operations into database operations (put and remove?)  This
will both simplify database interface and help users to implement
partitions like LDAP proxy.

> >I truly liked the concept of a routing RootNexus, and Alex convinced me of the
> >value for setups explained above.
> Aye me too. But I don't want to dispel this idea it has some serious
> potential.  Let's explore it thoroughly as you suggested.

Me, too. :)

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/