directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Using OSGi with ApacheDS (was Re: Summer of Code Application)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:07:09 GMT
2005/6/14, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:

> > What do we loose:
> >
> > Aspects like ...
> >
> > o management interfaces
> > o logging
> > o configuration
> > o hot deployment of components
> > o ...
> >
> > Right now Enrique has attracted my attention to OSGi. He makes
> > excellent points about it. It's the container of choice for embedding
> > in appliances and other devices. Plus it's got a written
> > specification to it endorsed by major companies like IBM, Cisco and
> > many others. This is what makes it unique in comparison to the
> > Geronimo GBeans, Spring and other Avalon, ComponentHaus productions.
> > All these containers are great btw so I'm not putting them down and we
> > still reserve the right to integrate with them as well. However OSGi
> > seems like the best candidate to Enrique and I.

 I like the basic idea of using OSGi, but many ppl prefers to use
lightweight IoC containers or hard-code it to use OSGi framework until now.
So I think we can approach in both way actually.
 Possible way is to embed OSGi framework and provide frontend POJO, or we
could provide limited funcionality in POJO, and full in OSGi.
 WDYT?
 Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/