directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Which logging framework?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:19:52 GMT
Marc Boorshtein wrote:

>doesn't commons logging do just that?  let you easily migrate between
>log4j & built in logging?

Strong -1 on this, even though I'm not a committer.
commons-logging is bringing chaos wherever it goes in production and
interacting with other components.
So please stop using that in your projects you do, that will help greatly.

log4j is flexible, documented and never gets in your way. It offers
features, that are not available anywhere else and certainly not in the JDK.

Decision such as this should be made from a production point of view not
from a 'coolness development factor' one.

Developpers have a tendency to forget that there are folks using these
components in production and that they have something else to do rather
than solve the 'how do I enable this implementation with what flag'
which is all but documented consistently, no mentionning that the
java.util.Logger documentation is extremely poor and unflexible.

Stephane