directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Idea on refactoring Database, ContextPartition, and RootNexus
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:09:03 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Sunday 19 June 2005 12:15, Trustin Lee wrote:
>

>>3) DatabaseNexus and RootNexus
>>
>>The role of DatabaseNexus is similar to that of RootNexus.  We could
>>forward any operations to appropriate Database implementation.  Using
>>DatabaseNexus, we will be able to make RootNexus just a frontend to
>>DatabaseNexus that translates complex JNDI operations into small
>>Database operations.
>>

>I am not sure that I can the total impact of what you are suggesting, but I
>would like to hear your thoughts on the following scenario;

Great points you make below Niclas.

>I can create a Nexus that exposes an entire application as a directory tree
>through JavaBean patterns and reflection. I can also create a wrapper on
>legacy system and expose it as a nexus. IMHO, this has tremendous advantages
>for system integration work, especially between systems that are
>traditionally 'far apart'.

Basically an LDAP proxy would have a hard time with this since the
operations are split apart.  Users would have to implement a Database to
have it talk to an LDAP server so ... they would have to collect the
tiny operations with put and gets to interpret what they are on a
commit.  This is impossible without transactions since the operations
don't have a distinct cut off.

>I truly liked the concept of a routing RootNexus, and Alex convinced me of the
>value for setups explained above.

Aye me too. But I don't want to dispel this idea it has some serious
potential.  Let's explore it thoroughly as you suggested.

>IMHO, it doesn't look as easy as before to do the above with your proposal.

Perhaps but you don't know until someone whips it together in a branch
and we can all look at it and experiment with it's potential or its
drawbacks.

Thanks Nic,
Alex