directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [dhcp] Summer of code
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:47:02 GMT
Evgeniy Sinev wrote:

>>>Sounds interesting.  We don't have any DHCP support yet.  Most protocol
>>>stack is built upon MINA (a network application framework).  MINA currently
>>>supports only NIO transport (which doesn't support multicast).  You'll have
>>>to implement BIO (old socket I/O) support for MINA and then build DHCP
>>>protocol on top of MINA.  Then integrating protocol with ApacheDS will be
>>>great.
>>>

>I want to realize not only DHCP protocol, but fully worked DHCP-server
>for ApacheDS or for standalone use.

That's great Evgeniy.  Why don't you start looking at the code that
already exists if you have not already.  It's a good start.  Feel free
to start contibuting patches for the code that is already there.  Or
express your approach/plans for discussion on this list.

DHCP is very important.  Also note that you can embed the ApacheDS core
with backing store without exposing any oither protocols even LDAP if
you like.  So this scenario == standalone configuration of only a DHCP
server.  You get a free backend and a frontend (almost) in MINA.

Thanks,
Alex