directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Summer of Code Application
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:53:25 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> 2). More backend partition types as noted above by Enrique.
> BTW the Prevayler based in memory backend will save major disk IO down
> the line when used to replace the system backend partition.  All major
> subsystems that will be made more robust after subentries are
> implemented will most likely use the system partition to store
> persistent information.  Prevayler from my understanding puts an entire
> db into memory loading it on startup.   On shutdown changes are
> persisted or synch operations can be made intermittently ...

Just want to correct a common misconception about Prevayler, since I've
done a couple impl's with it.  Prevayler transactions (more like
"operations," not to be confused with formal J2EE transactions) ARE
immediately persisted to disk.  It's the entire store, which yes is in
memory, that can be configured to periodically full-synch to disk,
generally 24hrs.  Upon crash or other restart scenario the transactions
can be replayed against the last full-synch, ensuring no loss of data.

Enrique