directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Which logging framework?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:56:21 GMT
On Tuesday 28 June 2005 09:56, Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> doesn't commons logging do just that?  let you easily migrate between
> log4j & built in logging?

Jakarta Commons-Logging has many issues related to its dynamic
lookup/resolution of the logging system to use.

Ceki Gülcü has an article that covers this in great detail, and at the end
talks of static binding being the solution. Not sure if JCL has gone this
route for the new upcoming release, but I think not, and that there are a
huge gap between JCL's notion of what works, and the emperically collected
use-cases that doesn't.

Ceki has released Simple Logging Facade 4 Java, SLF4J, which is basically an
API without the implementation and that you statically bind that API to the
implementation in a Jar file. I.e. it works for all conceived use-cases.

See Ceki's article at; http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp

Another interesting read is; http://www.qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.jsp

Cheers
Niclas