directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [apacheds] Which logging framework?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:24:31 GMT
> The Directory Server is not an app server, but do keep in mind that when we are embedding,
the better citizen that we can be in that embedded environment, the better.  And we also have
components of our own, since as triggers, stored procedures, etc.

Guys, actually a lot of the Apache DS code is based on commons-log,
other parts rely on java.util.logging, and the remaining use log4j.

I really don't care using Common-Logging, Log4j, JDK Loggin API, JULI or
AUGUSTI, but either we have a clear choice, or we have to keep the
logging apis which are in use actually.

>>From *my* point of view, log4j is perfect for what we are doing
actually.

Now, answering Trustin question, using java.util.logging doesn't seems
*to me* a very good idea. It has the same drawback than log4j - cf Marc
& Noel answers - and it does not compare with log4j in term of
fonctionality, or tooling.

If I have to make a choice, based on my preferences, it would be :
1) log4j
2) commons-logging + log4j
3) java.util.lang

If I have to make a choice, based on what ApacheDS will be in two years,
it may be :
1) commons-logging/Juli + log4j
2) log4j
3) java.util.lang

Anyway, let's make a clear choice, and let's stick with this choice !