directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Tence <vte...@videotron.ca>
Subject Re: [authx] Help with complicated authorization
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:42:40 GMT
On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 13:44 -0700, Richard Wallace wrote:
<snip/>

> Not your fault.  I've actually found what seems on first glace, a really
> good security framework built specifically for Spring
> http://agisecurity.sf.net.  Now I don't like the fact that I'll be tied
> to a specific container, but it sounds like I can do exactly the kind of
> stuff that I need to do with it.

We're also using Acegi on our current project at work. Simply because,
it's the best option I found available ... until AuthX has a comprable
feature set ready of course.

Acegi has a very nice feature set, but here's what I don't like (or did
not understand):

- It's tied to Spring
- It's role based only
- It's all XML stuff (and you need to write a hell lot of XML)
- You've got to play by the rules it defines

I would really like to replace our use of Acegi, but before that, here's
the list of stuff that need to be implemented:

- Hibernate Realm  (not very hard, should be easier than JDBC Realm)
- Hibernate Information Provider, for loading roles from the Database
- A stack of web utilities, including permissions to define access to
web resources, servlet filters, servlet listeners, ... not that hard
either
- Utilities to setup authx, including authenticators, information
providers and authorizers, wiring them together in the minimal amount of
steps, for general usage

-- Vincent