directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Panicker <vino...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mina] Integrating I/O layer and Protocol layer
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 04:49:50 GMT
Hi Trustin,

> Hi all,
>
> I've just got up in my bed, and got a new idea about integrating I/O
> layer and Protoocol layer.
>
> Here's my idea:
>
> 1. Remove I/O layer interfaces and merge them into protocol layer interfaces

Great.

> 2. Acceptors and Connectors fire messageReceived and messageSent event
> whose messages are ByteBuffers; users will have to downcast them to
> ByteBuffers.

All the attributes of the "Session" would still be completely configurable?

> 3. ProtocolCodecs are implemented as filters; users will have to add
> their own filters or predefined codec filters to perform
> transformation between ByteBuffers and custom objects. (i.e.
> ProtocolCodecs are generalized to filters)

Perfect use of filters.  It was a bit clunky to necessarily implement
a codec even when it wasnt needed.  This takes care of it.

> This change removes distinction between I/O layer and Protocol layer,
> and therefore brings us more unified API though users of I/O layer
> only will have to downcast message objects to ByteBuffers, but I think
> it doesn't matter actually.

I'd actually prefer a bit more flexibility here.  Let me think on this
a little bit.  Downcasting if u wanna do raw I/O is not really
desirable.

> We have released 0.7 internally, so we could apply this idea to 0.9
> branch.  WDYT?

+1

Regards,
Vinod.