directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A couple of general Mina questions
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 02:23:59 GMT
Hi Justin,

2005/5/24, Justin Rudd <justin.rudd@gmail.com>:

> Hey all!
>
> I'm looking to use MINA to do most of my communications between some
> daemons. I want to use the Protocol layer for all of it if at all
> possible.

 Good choice.

What I'm wondering is what happens when the ByteBuffer my Decoder gets
> isn't complete? Do I need to use CumulativeProtocolDecoder? Or is
> there some other way to do it?

 You have to use CumulativeProtocolDecoder or DemuxingProtocolCodecFactory.
DemuxingProtocolCodecFactory works better for binary protocols.
DemusingProtocolCodecFactory uses CumulativeProtocolDecoder internally.

Also has anyone tried using the Datagram functionality for UDP
> broadcasts? I'd love to be able to connect to a broadcast address and
> then layer a protocol on top of it. Just wondering if anyone has
> tried this and what (if any) problems you ran into. Or maybe there
> will be more explicit broadcast support in another drop?

 Enrique tried to use MINA for multicasting, but he failed. It seems like
NIO doesn't support broadcasting. Please let me know if this is possible. We
planned to implement non-NIO sockets, too, so you'll be able to use
multicasting when it's ready.
 Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/