directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject [mina] Integrating I/O layer and Protocol layer
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 23:21:56 GMT
Hi all,

I've just got up in my bed, and got a new idea about integrating I/O
layer and Protoocol layer.

Here's my idea:

1. Remove I/O layer interfaces and merge them into protocol layer interfaces
2. Acceptors and Connectors fire messageReceived and messageSent event
whose messages are ByteBuffers; users will have to downcast them to
ByteBuffers.
3. ProtocolCodecs are implemented as filters; users will have to add
their own filters or predefined codec filters to perform
transformation between ByteBuffers and custom objects. (i.e.
ProtocolCodecs are generalized to filters)

This change removes distinction between I/O layer and Protocol layer,
and therefore brings us more unified API though users of I/O layer
only will have to downcast message objects to ByteBuffers, but I think
it doesn't matter actually.

We have released 0.7 internally, so we could apply this idea to 0.9
branch.  WDYT?

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/